To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Seabirds washed up covered in oil on Yorkshire coast

Oil washed up along on North Yorkshire beaches has affected up to 50 seabirds, say Yorkshire Wildlife Trust.

Scarborough coast

The oil began to build up on Sunday afternoon along a 15-mile stretch of coastline.
A clean-up operation is being carried out and beach users have been advised to take care.
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust say the largest reports of oiled birds have come from Scarborough - and warns that this kind of substance can be very dangerous for the animals.
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust says guillemots and black-headed gulls have been hit by the spill.
Andy Skelton, Scarborough Borough Council's Head of Environmental Services said:
"We are currently in the process of clean up operations on a 15 mile stretch of our coastline between Scarborough and Speeton after deposits of oil were washed up onto beaches late yesterday afternoon and overnight.
"At this time, it is not known where the oil has come from but the strong easterly winds and heavy sea conditions are thought to have assisted the oil's journey to the shoreline.
"The Maritime and Coastguard Agency has been trying to determine the source of the pollution, including conducting a surveillance flight, and together with the Environment Agency, is arranging for samples of the substance to be tested.
It's not known for sure yet what caused the oil spill.
From CBBC and Hull Daily Mail


No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results