To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Rare long-eared bats endangered in UK

The grey long-eared bat, one of the UK's rarest mammals, is in danger of disappearing if it's not given extra protection.

Grey long-eared bat (c) Bat Conservation Trust
 A study by scientists at the University of Bristol found there were only about 1,000 of the bats left in the UK.
They are mainly found along the south coast of England and on the Isle of Wight, with a few on the Channel Islands and just one spotted in Wales.
The researchers say the bats' habitat should be protected.
The Bat Conservation Trust said the grey long-eared bat should be given "UK Priority Species status" to make sure that money is spent protecting where the bats live.
From CBBC Animals





The grey long-eared bat (Plecotus austriacus) is a fairly large European bat. It has distinctive ears, long and with a distinctive fold. It hunts above woodland, often by day, and mostly for moths. It is extremely similar to the more common brown long-eared bat, and was only distinguished in the 1960s, but has a paler belly. It is not an endangered species.



Echolocation

The frequencies used by this bat species for echolocation lie between 18-45 kHz, have most energy at 28 kHz and have an average duration of 5.8 ms.

In wikipedia

1 comment :

  1. Anonymous5/22/2015

    Hello there, You've done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it
    and personally suggest to my friends. I'm sure they will
    be benefited from this site.

    My website; free music Downloads (freemusicdownloadsb.com)

    ReplyDelete

Wikipedia

Search results