To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Monday, September 16, 2013

Red squirrels 'making a comeback' in south of Scotland

Sightings of red squirrels have increased following a control programme of grey squirrels

Red squirrel
Sightings in the south of Scotland have suggested that red squirrels are fighting back against a deadly virus.
Called squirrel pox, the virus has no apparent effect on grey squirrels but is deadly for their red cousins.
There have been a number of outbreaks in recent years leading to a widespread grey squirrel control programme.
Sightings of the greys have now dropped, while reds have been spotted in some parts of Dumfriesshire where they have been absent for decades.
Heinz Trout, from the conservation group Saving Scotland's Red Squirrels, says the signs are encouraging.

'Bit surprised' at the comeback

"It is tremendous. We have had some really good reports from a number of people," he said.
"I was contacted by a member of the public who lives in Annan and she said it was the first time she had seen a red squirrel in her garden and she had been living there for 47 years."
He said another instance was at Castlemilk Estate near Lockerbie where after an outbreak of squirrel pox, conservationists had worried about whether controlling grey numbers would have an impact.
"The woodland manager there wrote to me and he was very pleased and a bit surprised that the reds are coming back," Mr Trout added.
From CBBC newsround

No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results