To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Rhino deaths in SA more than double in last four years

The number of rhinos which have been killed in South Africa has more than doubled in the last four years!

What a shame!

Rhino

Official figures show that 100 have been killed in the past month. Since January this year, 790 animals have been killed, compared to 333 in 2010.
The government declared rhino poaching a national security risk, and a national priority in 2011.
It says it is now working on an agreement with other African nations to help protect rhinos from poaching.
South Africa is home to around 80% of the world's rhino population, estimated at more than 25,000.
People kill rhinos for their horns which are worth a lot of money.
The horns are used in medicine or for decoration in some parts of the world - particularly south east Asia. But scientists say there's no evidence the horn has any medicinal benefits.
Conservationists have warned the increase in rhino poaching in South Africa is becoming critical.
From CBBC newsround
They say that now, with more rhinos being killed than born, there is a risk the species will start to decline.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results