To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 07, 2014

Tansy beetle sighted in Cambridgeshire Fens for first time in 40 years

A critically endangered beetle has been spotted in Cambridgeshire for the first time in more than 40 years.

Tansy beetle
The tansy beetle was last recorded at Woodwalton Fen in 1973

The 9mm (0.35in) iridescent tansy beetle was found during a ditch survey at the Woodwalton Fen National Nature Reserve, near Huntingdon.
Dr Peter Kirby, who found the beetle, said its first appearance in the county since 1973 was "quite the mystery".
The banks of the River Ouse in York were thought to be beetle's last remaining stronghold in the UK.
'Exciting find'
Alan Bowley, senior reserve manager at Natural England, said the discovery was "significant" as it "demonstrates the resilience of the species when given the right conditions".
"This is such an exciting find," he said.
"Woodwalton Fen is an isolated fragment of a once much larger wetland and so rare animals are always at risk of extinction, but this demonstrates how important these sites are for providing a refuge for these species to survive against the odds.
Drain in Woodwalton Fen
Experts believe the discovery of the tansy beetle in the Fen is "significant"
"There is only one other site in Britain where this beautiful creature is found and we will be working hard to try and ensure that it can flourish here."
The site is all that remains of a great wetland around Whittlesey Mere that was drained in 1851, leading to the loss of many species.
Dr Kirby said: "It is not uncommon for invertebrate populations to survive at extremely low levels for many years until conditions become suitable for an expansion, and that appears to be what has happened here.
"I saw the first one by accident while taking samples, the sunlight glinted off it to catch my eye. Now we know it's there we can do some research and get a picture of what's going on."
Tansy beetle
  • The tansy beetle is currently critically endangered in the UK and across its worldwide range
  • It is a conservation priority species in England which means that public bodies have a duty to protect it, together with its habitat
  • in recent times the beetle has only been found along a 30km stretch of the River Ouse, around York, mainly eating tansy (Tanacetum vulgare), a perennial herb which has given the beetle its name
  • Although the tansy is widespread along the River Ouse, land use changes and the increase of invasive species such as Himalayan balsam have resulted in a decline in the plants over the past few decades
Source: Natural England
From BBC Sci/Environment


2 comments :

  1. Anonymous5/22/2015

    An interesting discussion is worth comment. I do think that you ought to
    publish more on this subject matter, it might not be a taboo matter but usually folks don't talk about these subjects.
    To the next! Best wishes!!

    my weblog :: minecraft.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/17/2015

    It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this
    outstanding blog! I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS
    feed to my Google account. I look forward to new
    updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

    Review my blog post: BryonFHeppel

    ReplyDelete

Wikipedia

Search results