To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Canada: Smartphone app tracks moose population

Wildlife managers in western Canada are getting a helping hand when it comes to tracking the moose population, thanks to a new smartphone app.

A moose
The moose population has seen a decline across North America in recent years but environment officials aren't sure why
The MyMoose app shares real time data of where and how frequently the creatures have been spotted across the province of British Columbia, the Globe and Mail website reports. The information is uploaded mainly by hunters - but it isn't intended to encourage hunting. Instead, its main aim is to help environmental officials monitor the moose population in the province, which has seen a steep decline in some areas."Currently we've got 350 members contributing data and we have almost 1,000 surveys submitted," says the app's creator, Sean Simmons. He describes MyMoose users as "committed" to helping collect the information. "What they say is: 'Assure me that what I'm doing is going to be helpful'," he tells the site.
App
The app, which launched in August, shows the general location of moose sightings, but limits the audience for more detailed GPS data to only wildlife biologists, so that animals won't be at increased risk of being hunted. "This is our first experiment to see what sort of data we can actually generate," says Mr Simmons.
In 2014 the provincial government began investigating why parts of British Columbia have seen moose numbers fall by up to 70% in recent years, a pattern repeated elsewhere in North America. It launched a five-year study which includes the tracking of more than 200 moose using radio collars.
From BBC News-from-elsewhere

No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results