To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Number of wild tigers could treble

The number of tigers living in the wild could rise in the next 20 years.

Tiger
At the moment there are only around three-thousand wild tigers living in Asia. The WWF believe that's 97% fewer than there were 100 years ago. Now experts say that number could treble if action is taken to protect their habitats.
Tiger yawning
Tigers can be found in 13 different countries around the world
Tiger populations have been affected by hunting, poaching and the loss of their habitats, to make way for roads, railways and towns.
Four of the sub-species of tigers are thought to be endangered and two are listed as 'critically' threatened.
Tiger skins
Tigers are poached for their skin, which some people use as decoration or rugs
But experts in the US say the population could grow.
A team at the University of Minnesota in the US have studied satellite images of places where tigers live, like forests.
The technology has helped identify specifically where tigers are losing their habitat.
They say that if the animals are given special 'corridors' or areas to make their territory bigger, the numbers could treble.
Dr Anup Joshi said: " Enough wild habitat remains to allow a range-wide doubling of the wild tiger population."
"The global population could approach a trebling in the next two decades." he added.
From CBBC Newsround

No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results