To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Australian tree-sitter ends 15-month protest after bushfire

An anti-logging campaigner in Australia who spent 15 months living up a tree has been forced down by a bushfire.

Miranda Gibson

Miranda Gibson held her vigil on a platform attached to a 400-year-old eucalyptus tree 60m (190ft) above the ground.
The teacher, protesting against the logging of native Tasmanian forests, vowed to continue her campaign.
She decided to come down after police and her support crew warned her about the dangers posed by a nearby bushfire.
"It is disappointing to come down under these circumstances," Ms Gibson said. "However, I believe what I have achieved throughout being there for over a year has been absolutely remarkable."
She said that she would continue to highlight the plight of Tasmania's forests.
In addition to isolation and solitude, she would have had to fight the effects of the harsh Tasmanian winter, the BBC's Phil Mercer in Sydney reports.
Ms Gibson said her life was made bearable by solar-powered satellite technology, which she used to address environmental conferences from the tree.
From BBC Environment


No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results