To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Second badger cull begins in Gloucestershire

A cull of thousands of badgers in Gloucestershire has begun - a week after the first stage of the government pilot got under way in Somerset.

Badger

Gloucestershire Police said its badger cull policing operation was at "full capacity" but no arrests had been made.
About 5,000 badgers are expected to be killed in controlled shootings over six weeks to try to stop the spread of an illness called bovine tuberculosis (TB).
Anti-cull protesters say they'll disrupt the shootings and more than 100 campaigners have gathered in Gloucestershire.
Supporters claim culling badgers is the only way to tackle the disease, which they say is spread from infected badgers to livestock.
But animal charity, the Badger Trust, say that shooting the animals won't solve the problem

Controversial cull

Campaigners have fought the plans since the test areas were revealed last year.
Some protestors and wildlife groups have tried to disrupt the cull by digging up bait laid by farmers and disturbing the ground near traps, so that the animals will be scared to come out.
An online petition against the cull has been signed by over 250,000 names.
But the National Farmers' Union president, Peter Kendall, repeated his claim that the cull was necessary.
He said: "Thirty-eight thousand cattle were slaughtered last year in Britain because of TB. For beef and dairy farmers dealing with TB on their farms, these badger culls are an essential part in the fight against this terrible disease."
From CBBC newsround

6 comments :

  1. Anonymous9/04/2013

    I don't feel happy or comfortable with this decision. It seems there is no other way of solving this'problem'. Some people say this won't solve anything. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't agree with the cull. These animals are so cute and are a symbol of British wildlife. It's been hard to accept the benefits of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/04/2013

    It's ashame that this has to be solve this way. I love badgers and above all they'rs living beings.
    Thanks for sharing this news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/04/2013

    Hi,there! marvellous post and very informative. Thanks! I'm against the cull, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9/04/2013

    Say no to the cull! It's revolting that these poor animals are culled when, I'm sure there would be another way of solving this.Thanks for the opportunity of commenting. I like your blog very much! keep doing this beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/04/2013

    Nice blog and very informative. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete

Wikipedia

Search results