To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Friday, September 06, 2013

Water voles 'decline by a fifth'

Water voles have declined by a fifth in the UK since 2011, a survey suggests.


Water vole

Conservationists say that habitat loss, being hunted by American mink, and changeable weather are to blame.
The research was carried out by the Environment Agency and Wildlife Trusts, who are working to create more vole-friendly waterways.
Earlier reports had suggested that the animals were making a comeback. Conservationists say more needs to be done to save this species.
Alastair Driver, National Conservation Manager from the Environment Agency, said: "This creature is part of our waterway systems. People love walking along a canal and hearing the plop of a water vole into the canal. They are part of the food chain... part of the ecosystem.
"It would be a real shame to let that go."
Water vole foraging on a floating log in shallows of a water channel
Scientific name: Arvicola amphibius
Rank: Species

Common names:

 
  • Eurasian water vole,
  •  
  • Water rat,
  • Water vole


Water voles are widespread around Europe, living in the banks of slow moving rivers, streams and other waterways. The waterside burrows of these strong swimmers have many floor levels that hinder flooding, as well as nesting chambers and a food store for the long winter months. Although water voles are a quick meal for many predators, the UK population suffered a catastrophic level of predation by the American mink. Water voles are often mistaken for rats. Ratty, in Kenneth Grahame's 'The Wind in the Willows', was actually a water vole.

CBBC  BBC Nature



No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results