To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Monday, April 01, 2013

New home for orphaned polar bear cub

An orphaned polar bear cub has made its temporary home at the Anchorage  zoo in Alaska, USA.


It was rescued after the bear's unfortunate mother was killed by a hunter who hadn't realised she was with a cub. 

The three to four-month-old cub's mother was killed by a hunter near Point Lay, situated on Alaska's north west coast.
The hunter brought the cub, who has been named Kali, for care. Kali was then transferred to Anchorage and the Alaska Zoo.
Zoo officials said that when the cub first came to their care it weighed just over 18 pounds, but is now thriving, weighing 31.5 pounds. The polar bear will be sent to Buffalo Zoo later this spring.
The little animal's been named Kali and is thought to be three or four months old.
Later this spring Kali will move to another zoo to be raised alongside four-month-old polar bear cub named Luna.
It's hoped allowing them both to play together will help make sure the cubs don't get too attached to their human keepers.


Alaska law allows native tribes who reside in Alaska to harvest polar bears and the hunter said he unwittingly shot the mother and didn't know she was with a cub.
From CBBC and The Telegraph

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous4/02/2013

    So small and cute and already an orphan! We should be more careful about hunting these animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I think that hunting bears shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances.

      Delete

Wikipedia

Search results