To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Monday, July 22, 2013

Bombs dropped on Great Barrier Reef by US jets

Four bombs have been dropped on Australia's Great Barrier Reef by American fighters jets, during a training exercise that went wrong.
Fortunately, the unarmed bombs didn't explode. They fell into water about 50m deep and away from coral to limit damage.
Two Marine jets dropped four 500lb bombs on the Great Barrier Reef this week after a fuel emergency meant they could not land while carrying the weapons. 



The AV-8B Harriers, part of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, had been taking part in a training exercise when the pilots realized they were running low on fuel. 
Each Harrier was forced to drop two bombs on the UNESCO world heritage site, although there was no risk of them exploding, according to defense officials.
Emergency: Two Harrier jets, like the one pictured, were forced to drop 500lb bombs in the Great Barrier Reef after running low on fuel
Two Harrier jets, like the one pictured, were forced to drop 500lb bombs in the Great Barrier Reef after running low on fuel
The planes were meant to drop them in a bombing range on a nearby island, but that was abandoned after hazards were reported.
The US navy said the planes were low on fuel and could not land while loaded.
The bombs were dropped about 16 nautical miles south of Bell Cay in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, according to NBC News.
Defense officials said they tried to pick a location that would reduce the risk of damage to the reef, and said the bomb site was in a 'deep channel' about 60 metres deep.
The pilots were supposed to drop the bombs on Townshend Island as part of a training exercise, but at the last moment they were told the range was not clear.
The Great Barrier Reef is the planet's largest collection of corals and a Unesco World Heritage site.

It stretches for more than 2,000km along the north-east coast of Australia.

From:

  • BBC News
  • Daily Mail

5 comments :

  1. Anonymous7/22/2013

    Hi! I wonder if they care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/22/2013

    These americans! How is this possible?
    Thanks for this precious information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/22/2013

    I think they should be punished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7/22/2013

    They really are badly organized. Dropping four bombs in this area, is crazy,man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're all absolutely right. I coudn't believe when I read this.
      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Wikipedia

Search results