To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Butterflies 'at risk of extinction' due to sodden 2012

The UK's butterflies suffered a 'catastrophic' year in 2012, with most species declining, a new study shows.

Butterfly
Of the 56 species that were looked at, 52 saw their numbers drop compared to 2011.
Thirteen had their worst year since 1976.
The year 2012 was one of the wettest on record and it's thought this meant the creatures struggled to find food and shelter.
Threatened butterfly species were already experiencing declines before last year's wet weather, but now wildlife experts warn struggling butterflies could become extinct in some areas of the UK.
In the study only four species saw their numbers increase.
These include the grass-feeding Meadow Brown whose numbers rose by a fifth and the Scotch Argus which thrives in damp conditions - its numbers increased by over 50 per cent.
From CBBC News



No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results