To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Northern lights: spectacular footage captured in Iceland

The Powers of Nature : tameless, surprising, strong and unpredictable


This footage of the northern lights was filmed on 17 March near Gullfoss and Skaftafell in Iceland with multiple DSLR cameras. The northern lights, or aurora borealis, is one of the most sublime and magnificent natural phenomena on Earth. The glow is caused by high-energy electrons colliding with oxygen atoms and nitrogen molecules.


In northern latitudes, the effect is known as the aurora borealis (or the northern lights), named after the Roman goddess of dawn,Aurora, and the Greek name for the north wind, Boreas, by Pierre Gassendi in 1621. Auroras seen near the magnetic pole may be high overhead, but from farther away, they illuminate the northern horizon as a greenish glow or sometimes a faint red, as if the Sun were rising from an unusual direction. Discrete aurorae often display magnetic field lines or curtain-like structures, and can change within seconds or glow unchanging for hours, most often in fluorescent green. The aurora borealis most often occurs near the equinoctes. The northern lights have had a number of names throughout history. The Cree call this phenomenon the "Dance of the Spirits". In Europe, in the Middle Ages, the auroras were commonly believed a sign from God.
Its southern counterpart, the aurora australis (or the southern lights), has almost identical features to the aurora borealis and changes simultaneously with changes in the northern auroral zoneand is visible from high southern latitudes in AntarcticaSouth America,New Zealand, and Australia. Aurorae occur on other planets. Similar to the Earth's aurora, they are visible close to the planet's magnetic poles. 
From The Guardian and Wikipedia

5 comments :

  1. David Morris3/27/2013

    Very,very beautiful. Mother Nature can offer us amazing situations, though it can also be very destructive,. Anyway, this one is one of the most unusual for the southern Europe inhabitants and it's always exciting to watch such incredible footage. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/27/2013

    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris Thompson3/27/2013

    Incredible! I've always wanted to see, personally,I mean, these lights.
    They're really beautiful. nature is a great mother, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for commenting! Come whenever you like and leave your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5/23/2015

    Spot on with this write-up, I actually feel this site needs
    a great deal more attention. I'll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the info!


    my blog :: free music downloads (freemusicdownloadsb.com)

    ReplyDelete

Wikipedia

Search results