To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Oban Bay sperm whale swims back out to sea

A sperm whale which has been in the shallow waters of Scotland's Oban bay, for almost nine days has swum back out to sea.

Whale

The whale was thought to be aged between 11 and 14 and about 12 metres long, weighing a massive 20 tonnes!
Boat and ferry owners have had to plan their routs around the whale to avoid any collisions.
Experts say this has provided whale experts with valuable information.
"Nobody has observed an animal of that kind so close to shore, in shallow water, for such a prolonged time," said David Scott, of the British Divers Marine Life Rescue.
The BBC's James Cook talks to people who have travelled for miles to catch a glimpse of the whale
"We don't know why he came into the bay but whales will seek shelter from time to time," David explained.

'Highly unusual'
"Normally these whales are in the Atlantic, in water thousands of metres deep," he said. "They are not used to things like tidal streams and there was a risk of him panicking and stranding.
"It is highly unusual to see something like this," he said. "If it happens again we have the knowledge to build on."

From CBBC News-Animals

No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results