To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Monday, March 18, 2013

Largest concentrated solar power plant opens in Abu Dhabi

The oil-rich state of Abu Dhabi has officially opened the world's largest concentrated solar power plant.
Shams 1 - which means 'the sun' in Arabic - uses advanced parabolic trough technology to harness the light from over 250,000 mirrors.

From BBC

Description

Parabolic trough
Shams 1 is a 100 MW concentrating solar power station which uses parabolic trough technology. It will displace 175,000 tons of CO2 per year and its power output will be enough to power 20,000 homes. The station will consist of 258,048 parabolic trough mirrors, 192 solar collector assembly loops with 8 solar collector assemblies per loop, 768 solar collector assembly units, and 27,648 absorber pipes. It covers an area of 2.5 square kilometres (1 sq mi).
The basic and detailed engineering have been developed by AG Ingeniería. The project is consulted by Fichtner Consulting Engineers.The equipment is designed and delivered by Foster Wheeler.The power station is equipped by Abengoa Solar's ASTRO collectors. The 125 MW steam turbine is provided by MAN Turbo, parabolic glass mirrors are provided by Flabeg, PTR 70 absorber tubes are provided by Schott AG, and Therminol heat transfer fluid is provided by Solutia.
In October 2010 it was reported that because of "substantial" atmospheric dust, solar radiation received by Shams' solar collectors was less than expected and more collectors would be required.
From Wikipedia

No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results