To my dear visitors and commenters

Hi, everybody! I've noticed with lots of joy and happiness, that thousands of comments have been written in my posts. It's wonderful that so may people around the world appreciate my work. Therefore, I want to thank you for that and ,at the same time I want to ask you to be this blog's followers. It's fast and easy! Make it be even more visited and spread all over the world! I'm a woman, a teacher of English in Portugal, and I've been away for quite a long time because of my father's health. Unfortunately he died from Covid19 a few months ago. Now I felt it was time to restart my activity in this and other blogs I owe. I've recently created a new one in a partnership with a street photographer, Mr. Daniel Antunes. He's fabulous! https://pandpbydandd.blogspot.com I'd like you to visit it and, who knows, become our followers. The poems, chronicles and thoughts are all mine. Thank you so much! Kisses :-)

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thousands of prawns washed up on beach in Chile

People walk past thousand of shrimps beached on the "Caleta Rojas" at Coronel town, Chile

Investigators are baffled after thousands of langoustines were washed ashore in Chile's central Concepcion province. There are so many crustaceans that it makes the entire beach appear red in colour. Marine experts have begun an investigation into sea conditions, hoping to rule out an environmental crime

Fishermen claim nearby power stations are heating the waters after hundreds of dead crabs also washed up in the same area at the weekend.
Gregorio Ortega said: "I'm 69 years old and started fishing when I was nine but, as a fisherman, I never saw a disaster of this magnitude."
The dead sealife appeared in Coronel, some 330 miles south of the Chile capital, Santiago.
Environment prosecutor Ana Maria Aldana said: "We're going to be collecting as much evidence as possible to determine if this is an environmental crime.".
The Bocamina 1 and 2 power plants are owned by companies Endesa and Colbun respectively.
A spokesman for Endesa said the company was aware of the issue and would issue a statement later.
An official at Colbun declined to comment.
Chile imports 97% of its fossil fuels and depends largely on hydropower for electricity.
From Mirror News



No comments :

Post a Comment

Wikipedia

Search results